Need More Summer Ideas?
Here are a few we love from Ascend Expert Christina Pandolfo, MS, OTR/L
Our School-Based Occupational Therapist
- Cut shapes out of sponges and create a sponge painting masterpiece, or finger paint, exploring the texture of paint.
- Use an old toilet paper roll and dip in paint to create circle art in a variety of colors!
- Use leaves and flowers to paint and make unique art.
- Make a ‘nature’ paint brush and tie leaves, rosemary, grass, etc. in a bunch to a twig, and paint a one-of-a-kind painting.
- ‘Paint the House’ using a bucket of water and a paint brush. Watch as the water dries and disappears!
- Cool Whip Sensory Play on a baking tray to make lines and shapes with your fingers.
- Make ‘Edible Paint’ by blending fruit with yogurt (blueberries or strawberries, raspberries, etc.) and paint the plate (and you can eat it too!)
- Chalk Art – practice lines and shapes! An evergreen and fun activity!
- Use an easel to paint – when working on vertical surfaces, children use large arm movements which help to strengthen their shoulders, upper extremities, core muscles and also improve their posture. More on this coming up in our next Blog. Stay Tuned.